- The National Kick-off Club College-Bound event was a huge success! Even with looming flash flood warnings, 14 families crowded into the Discovery Museum at the MJCCA in Dunwoody to affirm their dedication to pursuing an Inclusive Post-Secondary Experience. After the recitation of the Club College-Bound Creed, the talented Mandy Stone, Therapeutic Recreation Specialist from JoshuaTree Center for Inclusion, had us on our feet, participating in "Choices," a super-fun activity about preferences. Afterwards, the group settled in for an information session on Club College-Bound activities. On the planning board:
- Success Panel: Graduates of Inclusive Post-Secondary Education Programs
- Professor Dialogue: A session with a University Professor, discussing expectations of auditing students
- Navigation Station: On Campus team competition experience
- Campus Culture Tours
- Technology Lab: investigating Assistive Technology for the Inclusive Post-Secondary Experience
The families gave input too, and came up with terrific ideas, including inclusion activities with typical peers (yes!) , and opportunities to advocate with the legislature on upcoming proposals involving state-wide funding of Inclusive Post-Secondary programs. What a great way to develop a Powerful Voice. What a great time to be part of Club College-Bound!
When's the next meeting? Tentatively set for Sunday, March 24th from 4-6 at the MJCCA in Dunwoody, buy finalizing details. Check back for registration information.... coming soon!